Saturday 13 February 2010

Not necessarily a good Thing

Hmmm ... I see flickr includes what sort of camera was used among the information it gives about photos. This is very interesting for camera geeks -- but, while I'm happy to share my pics with the rest of the world, I'm not sure I want everyone to know what sort of camera I've got!

I can see that flickr is an excellent way to share photos with family and friends, or even to look for pictures of your next holiday destination, and as back-up storage for personal photos. But I'm struggling to think of libray applications for it.

I could perhaps photograph the text of my copy of Mackie's Ethics, and then when readers come to complain that the confined copy has gone missing again give them the url -- and wait for the copyright police to come calling.

1 comment:

  1. You're not the first person to have wondered about the possible library applications for Flickr. My answer to the other people has been to point them in the direction of the Flickr Commons - take a look there and see what you think! Not necessarily possible for all libraries, but shows what can be done when libraries and archives work with these kind of sites.

    ReplyDelete