Saturday 27 February 2010

Things get a bit complicated (but fun!)

Now, YouTube is FUN! But has caused me one or two problems ...

My usual post in the library is sitting behind the reception desk in the middle of the library entrance hall. I fear readers with enquiries would find it offputting if I wore headphones, but I can hardly sit there with Michael Flanders and Donald Swann singing "The English, the English, the English are best -- I wouldn't give twopence for all of the rest!" blasting out from my laptop, even if I play it very, very quietly. (In case anyone should feel concern at my choice of viewing matter, the "Song of Patriotic Prejudice" is of course ironic -- and very funny.) But the computer in the office doesn't have a sound-card. Solution: take the laptop into the office. Complications: first of all, find enough clear desk-space to put the laptop on which is within reach of the ethernet socket; then find a spare ethernet cable -- only one I can find has lost its clips, so watch it doesn't come loose from the socket at either end -- and unplug the desktop's ethernet cable (don't forget to plug it back in, or the next person using the desktop will be completely stymied) ...

All successfully set up, and here are Messrs Flanders and Swann in full colour!

So much stuff on here! I did a search for "Oxford University" -- the results seem to be heavily biased to MBA students! I did a search for Hinksey, to see if there were clips featuring the Oxfordshire villages of that name -- the results were a train-spotter's delight! It looks like some people put up clips from their favourite movies -- has anyone mentioned the dread word Copyright? At home, I have a stack of books I've never read, and a pile of DVDs I've never watched -- I fear I'm going to be adding a long list of YouTube clips I've never explored!

No comments:

Post a Comment