Saturday 6 March 2010

Getting Things a little out of order

I haven't quite got as far as completing Thing 11 (podcasts) yet. I did a bit of investigation of what might be available -- I'm a great fan of BBC Radio 7, but they seem to have very little available as podcasts, I think because they have their iplayer "listen again" facility, so I tried Radio 4 instead and saw The Archers is available. I'd no doubt get some very strange looks if I sat in the middle of Somerville library with "Barwick Green" tinkling cheerfully out! I haven't dared subscribe, in case I get hooked! So I'll explore a bit further at home (if I can get a decent signal, as I have a mobile broadband connection which periodically goes dead on me).

For Thing 12, YouTube, see below. I'd avoided YouTube in the past, having a suspicion that it would be like watching a combination of endless episodes of You've Been Framed with other people's holiday videos. No doubt there's a lot of that sort of thing there, but also some very good things such as Simon's Cat, who reminds me very much of one of my own dear furry pest- er, friends. However, a viewing of "Simon's cat -- Hot spot" was followed by "suggested viewing" including something contributed by "FuckinKillBeasty Boys" which ended with the unfortunate cat being nuked -- beware video nasties! Also beware imitations, of which Simon's Cat has a fair selection, of varying merit -- it all reminds me rather of fanfic (no, you don't want to hear all about my foray into Star Trek Voyager fanfic/slash. It was a very long time ago ...).

Maybe we should put our library induction on YouTube -- it would save us all a lot of breath at the start of Michaelmas Term! But I fear the advantages would be outweighed by the cringing embarassment of watching ourselves!!

One little gripe. (Only one? Little? And here's me trying to build up a reputation as a balloon-pricking old curmudgeon!) I can read a lot faster than anyone can talk. So, on the whole, I think text is a more efficient way of disseminating information.

On to the next Thing -- Facebook. "You can include your contact information, opening hours, links to SOLO and other sites ..." says the official 23 Things blog. Yes, but -- isn't that all available on your library's website? Is Facebook where readers are looking for that sort of information? Is it efficient to duplicate the information? And it's yet another set of information which you have to remember to update if anything changes. (Is my curmudgeonly reputation secure yet? I must go and look at a few of these pages before sounding off any further!)

No comments:

Post a Comment