Tuesday 2 February 2010

Not all Things are blog-shaped

I've been looking at the blogs of my fellow 23 Thing-ers, and their views on blogs in general.

I think blogs are excellent for what they were originally conceived for -- as logs of day-by-day thoughts, events and reactions, with the latest thing being the first thing you see. For recording things which are, on the whole, ephemeral. This is a record of my ongoing reactions to the 23 Things programme, which I hope is entertaining my fellow particpants (and is certainly entertaining me!), but in six months' time I don't suppose anyone will give two hoots about it! But I don't think they should be used for anything and everything, just because it's so easy to sit down, dash off a few paragraphs and hit "Publish Post". That I find offensive to my sense of order. If you want to present information which has lasting currency, like useful links or contact information, set it out clearly on an old-fashioned website (are websites now old-fashioned?!). I find having the 23 Things Oxford programme set out in a blog very slightly irritating, in that, to find out what I'm supposed to be doing next, I have to read through a post, then scroll back up past it and through another one to get to the top of the next set of instructions. But I suppose setting it out as a blog is all part of exposing us to Web 2.0 applications, which is the purpose of the programme, so I'm not really complaining!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, yes agree about the order in which posts appear...for a teaching function, having a later task appear before a former task is confusing and counter-intuitive. There must be a setting somewhere that means one can customise the order of how one wishes posts to appear?

    ReplyDelete